
Church Green with the accompanying Church and manor house has been at the centre of the village for over a 1000 years when the first Saxon church was built. The south porch was built around 1475 to celebrate the marriage of Anne Neville who owned the manor of Stanford to the Duke of Gloucester later to become King Richard111.The green itself was the location of the village market, the pound where stray livestock were kept awaiting release on payment of a fine and the stocks and whipping post.
Until relatively recently red and white cattle grazed on Church Green as it was available to rent on a yearly basis. The letting took place in the bar of the Anchor pub where a tallow candle a ¼ inch in length was lit. The last person to make a bid before the candle burnt out became the tenant for that year.
Link to a detailed history of St Denys Church
