Wayfinder Stone 7: MILLENNIUM GREEN

Until the 1700’s education was restricted to a few middle and upper class boys in the village but in 1750 the first village school was set up to teach basic literacy to the village children. A hundred years later a CoE school was set up in the old school house opposite the current school and had a 150 pupils. As it was then believed that the working classes should not be educated above their station the teachers were largely untrained and unpaid.  All this changed with the opening in 1873 of the new CoE school. The school was intended for about 200 pupils (the same as today), had a mixed school room capable of division, an infant’s school, and a classroom with boys and girls lobbies. Built from local stone with bath stone dressings it cost £700. Next door built at a cost of £300 was the headmaster’s house where the first headmaster William Rush lived for 38 years.

There were a few other smaller schools in the village including a dame school on Church Green run by Nanny Grundy. It was a very basic school with each child bringing its own stool which was actually a brick on which to sit. As a punishment the children would be pinned by their clothing to a cushion on which Nanny Grundy sat.

The Millennium Green opened as part of a national initiative  was originally along with the adjoining sports field and sheep pasture one field belonging to the Manor House.